Friday, November 14, 2008

A Rose by Any Other Name


Shakespeare said, “a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.” And to a certain extent that’s true. But, if a rose were called a skunk cabbage, I don’t think men would give them to their wives on Valentine’s Day. Names are important things. Take for instance our five month old black Lab. If we’d named her “Pumpkin” or “Tinkerbell,” I don’t think that we’d get the same reaction from strangers that we do when we yell, “Jezebel, get back here!”

Yes, that's her name. I take responsibility for it. There aren’t a lot of things I really, really want, but I had to name her Jezebel. I’ll explain why. When the FedEx guy knocks on the door with his signature pad, I yell, “Jezebel, down!” By the time, I open the door the guy is halfway to his truck and calling over his shoulder, “Hey, lady, don’t worry, you don’t have to sign. We’re good.” Or, when Ariel takes the dog out front and Jezebel runs out to sniff at the gang kid on his cellphone, and Ariel calls out, “Jezebel, come back here”….believe me, you’ve never seen a gang kid run so fast—he might trip over the crotch of his low-rider jeans.

Now, of course, this would be irrelevant if she were a big, tough snarling beast like our last dog, Jill. (Yes, I love irony.) Jill was the snarliest 100 pounds of teeth and muscle that I’ve ever met—other dogs laid on their bellies when she walked by. Seriously. But, Jezebel, well, let’s just say that her nickname at home is “Jellybelly” and Jinglebells.” I think you get the drift. But, it doesn’t matter. When she runs up to sniff someone or to lick them to death and I call out “Jezebel!,” people panic.

So, right now I’m waiting for the holidays. Christmas package deliveries should be fun. I hear those UPS guys can really run.
P.S. You notice the cool "biker" collar--it's all about image.

3 comments:

  1. After hearing that you guys named your dog Jezebel, I curiously read through 2Kings Chapter 9. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, well, a dog that is scared of everything from lound sirens to a broom can definitely use the "intimidating name" factor. :)

    ~Ariel

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so funny! We need her here to scare away these strange kids, hunters, etc that sit and walk in our property. At the moment we just tell them we'll call the police if they don't leave. That works for now :)

    Hope the family is doing well!

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete